Monday 26 May 2014

First lesson!

So yesterday, I put an entry about how I had fallen in love with diving, so today's entry will be my first few lessons going underwater. It was funny, it was comical and some of it, totally humiliating to watch even. Oh, by the way, I'm talking about the videos taken during the lessons given by the Open Water Scuba Instructor and he was assisted (if available) by the Dive Master. Both are PADI certified so students can count on them and take the lessons with peace in head.

I started my first day diving with Kenny, the Dive Master. He's brilliant, the only thing is, I can't find my momentum to be serious with him and I ended up laughing all the time and we have to abort all the lessons he's giving me. It was hilarious because it was my first time being underwater and everything he did tickles every inch of my brain, trust me, I was laughing the moment we enter the water. I mean come on, I didn't know water and mask can change the way you look, when I look at Kenny it makes me think,  "if he's face is that funny, how 'bout mine?" and I'll stand up right away laughing and swallowing sea water. This is silly you may say but I start laughing the moment the question hit my brain and this happened about 6 times before Kenny start giving me warning to be serious. It was after 2PM when we started the lesson on "Regulator Clearing", "Regulator Recovery" and also "Mask Clearing" and ended up aborting everything at 3 something, because yes thanks to Kenny's funny face. Haha!


Kenny (Dive Master) and me after a swimming lesson. Oh please ignore his bare nipple.

The only downturn was, after we aborted the "failed" skill sets lesson, I had serious migraine attack and I spent the whole evening stuck in the room all alone. It almost put halt on my diving interest but thank God, with Julius the OWSI, my proper and serious finally rolling in. Although I was really scared 
(I heard Julius is quite the serious type) I can't contained my excitement. Really! 

Julius's method was different. He first asked me if I have any fears, trauma or phobia that he should know. Well of course the answer is YES-ness! I have Aquaphobia but Julius said it can be fixed. He then brief me everything I need to know about my basic skill-sets and how to use the regulator (your only LIFE while in the water) and the proper way to wear my mask, NOT to tight nor TOO LOOSE. He convinced me I have nothing to worry although I keep on telling him I can't swim at all. So the first day of learning the basic skills, began. Oh I was joined by the Pulau Tiga Resort staff, you can look for her (her name is Mimie) at the Reception Area, in fact if you're here, she'll be the one welcoming you upon arrival and will do the briefing about the island and what it has to offers you during the stay.
Julius trying on my spectacles. You look great Teacher!


First skill set is, to do a "REGULATOR CLEARING". This is an easy one, all you have to do is to take your regulator out of you mouth and hold your breath while releasing small bubbles for few seconds while making sure your reg is pointing down and breath through it again when the DM or OWSI signals you to do so. Easy right?

Second is the easy breezy skill. "REGULATOR RECOVERY". Why it calls recovery? Well sometimes when you're diving, you'll encounters lots of the unexpected such as a reckless diver who can't keep their hands to themselves and knocked your reg out, or you might swim to close to another diver and he/she accidentally kicked your reg away from your mouth so you'll know how to do your REGULATOR RECOVERY right away.

And last but not lease is the MASK CLEARING!! THIS IS HARD.. This skill set requires you to do a mask cleaning from fogging. Why fogging, you may ask. According to Mr. Google, the air inside a mask's face pocket is warmed by your face. While its glass faceplate is cooled by the water. The layer of warm air that comes in contact with the faceplate becomes cooler, and the resulting condensation on the inside of the glass forms that annoying fog (eheem, this is my exact same answer actually).




Yes, that a funny video. I'm embarrassed too. That was the " Regulator Recovery" and I kept on doing mistakes. Grrr, embarrassing much. Since Kenny wasn't around to the filming for my few other lessons, I will just jumped to "Free Flow" skill. Free-flow was an easy bits and I passed it without much hassle (just kick me if I can't even do free-flow).



I think that's all for today's post. I will post more tomorrow. I have too much to share, it makes my brain jammed which story to post first. Just stay tune with me. Let us uncover the sea universe together. Why don't all of us become divers? It's amazing. It will blow your mind. I mean it cause I love it.
#makeitblue #diverinlove #janeyonjourney


Till then, lots of love (with bags of sea salt)
Jane






1 comment:

  1. good intro of diving keep up the good work remember believe in yourself and you might achieve what you dream. "the sky the limit" hehe itu kah tu

    ReplyDelete